How long does it take to receive a custom design from Chynna Hansen Designs?
Depending on which package you order, custom designs can take up to 2-3 weeks. I will let you know my timeline when you book (it fluctuates from 1 week to 4 weeks out), but the process goes quickly after you receive your first logo sampling. The custom design process goes quicker if the client provides all necessary information, preferences, and photos upfront.
What kinds of files come with my order and what do each of them do?
When you receive your order, you’ll likely receive more than one file type. Here’s a quick rundown of the what each of the files do and a few other logistics:
- JPG: This is a photo. Works just a like a photo, even when it’s a design. A .jpg file will have a white background on it. JPGs are great for social media and other situations when a white background surrounding your logo or design is ok. Business cards will also come in a .jpg form.
- PNG: This file does not have that white background around the edge. You’ll also receive this type of file with your logo. A transaparent background allows your design to be placed on top of another design or background, using a program like Photoshop, without that white box around the edges.
- PDF: These high-quality files are ideal for printing. Most of my invitations and announcements are sent as .jpg files, but some are sent as PDFs, depending on the design. A PDF file is usually requested for printing larger items such as clothing or signs.
- PSD or AI: These files are editable, and created in Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. You won’t be able to open these files unless you have Photoshop or Illustrator, but still hang onto them. Many times print shops will request this type of file to complete your projects.
- What the heck is a “bleed” anyway?: This term is used to describe a document which has images or elements that touch the edge of the page, extending beyond the trim edge and leaving no white margin. When a document has bleed, it must be printed on a larger sheet of paper and then trimmed down. You’ll usually receive a file with a bleed and one without, in order to protect the text and images of your design that are near the edge.
What is the difference between custom and premade design? What are the pros and cons of both?
Custom design is just like it sounds — one of a kind! I create your design from scratch, and then provide you with all the necessary files for printing, pinning, posting, and branding yourself until your heart is content. I never resell custom designs and they are 100% unique to your business. Because custom designs take longer to come together, they are more expensive upfront but clients are often happier long-term with something they had a lot of input in putting together.
Premade designs can be found in my Etsy shop. They are less expensive because they are already designed and are sold multiple times. Premade designs are quick and easy, and many are available for instant download after your purchase is completed. Premade logos can be customized for your business, but they will be sold to other business owners as well.
How can I use my logo after I receive the design files?
After we go through the design process together, clients often wonder what now? Especially if they are new business owners. When your logo is complete, I send you all the design files you’ll need for print items, website, and social media posting. I include logo files in .jpg, .png, .pdf, and .gif. It is the client’s responsibility to know how to use these files, though I am happy to advise where necessary. Most clients use their logo as their social media profile pictures; on business cards, brochures, flyers, and other print items; when they are sponsoring an event or giveaway with another business owner; in their email signatures; on storefront signs or billboards, and more — the possibilities are endless!
Can I purchase a design only and print invitations, business cards, or brochures myself?
Absolutely! I offer a design-only option on everything I make. Keep in mind that when you print a file yourself, the appearance of the design may differ from mine simply because of differences in quality of print shops.
Where do you recommend I print invitations or small business marketing materials?
Professional print shops will provide you with the highest quality images every time. I recommend ordering your prints through me. If you’re concerned about prices, I recommend quick quality prints from Costco for invitations and announcements.
Will I receive a digital proof before my product(s) is printed?
Yes! Every time. No print orders will be placed until you receive a digital proof and review my policies page.
What kind of paper will my designs be printed on?
All products are printed on 130 lb cardstock with a satin finish and semi-gloss sheen. You might also be interested in specialty papers for your printed products.
Will my invitations come with envelopes?
Of course! All invitations and announcements ordered from Chynna Hansen Designs come with FREE white envelopes, no matter how many you order.